Please see the Hardware Maintenance manual for your system for detailed information about the procedure below. Use this guide at your own risk. SPS Pros is not responsible for faults, failures, data loss, etc. as a result of following this guide.
The RAID controller battery may be replaced on a Dell PowerVault MD3200 series storage array if you’re experiencing the error “RAID Controller Module cache memory recovery failed after power cycle or reset” or if there is a battery fault indicator LED on the RAID controller.
Replacing a RAID Controller Battery with Single RAID Controller
- Power off any host that is attached to your MD3200.
- Once the host is powered off then wait about 3-5 minutes for all of the data that is stored in the cache of your MD3200 to be written to disk, then power off your MD3200.
- Once the MD3200 is powered off then pull the RAID controller out the back of the system & replace the battery.
- Once the battery has been replaced then insert the raid controller back into the MD3200 & power on the MD3200.
- Wait about 5 minutes for the MD3200 to boot up & come to a ready state.
- Once the MD3200 has booted up & is at a ready state then power on all host that are attached to your MD3200.
Replacing RAID Controller Battery in Units with Dual RAID Controllers
Replacing the battery in a unit with multiple RAID controllers requires detaching the RAID controller with the failed battery, however you should experience no downtime if the other RAID controller is still functioning.
Before you start, make sure all the disk groups have been changed over to the working RAID Controller by using the PowerVault Modular Disk Storage Manager in the Logical View.
- In Physical view, select the RAID Controller to be removed
- Click on the Advanced menu and select Recovery > Place RAID Controller Module > Offline. Once offline, you may remove the RAID Controller.
- Replace the battery pack in the RAID controller and insert it back in place.
- Go to Recovery > Place RAID Controller Module and choose Online.
- After a few moments everything should return to normal.
This or a similar process may be followed to replace RAID controller battery modules in other PowerVault series storage arrays.